5/31/2013

The Best Egoboo Is Also The Saddest

There are support websites for women who've given birth to still-born children or children who die shortly after birth.  One of those recently featured a moving post about giving birth to Death.

Many of the comments wrote about picturing Death as a person.  And on of those comments said this:
"I have difficulty thinking of death as a person, but when I do it tends to be of the unwanted houseguest, or, when I'm very lucky, of the main character in a short story (Death and the Ugly Woman by Bruce Arthurs) I read long ago." [slightly edited to avoid spoilers]

I'm just... I don't know what to say.  "Death and the Ugly Woman" has always been the story of mine that people remember, and thank me for writing, and still ask about after nearly thirty years.  I've always regretted that no one's seen fit to reprint it.  (That's why it will be the lead story of the upcoming collecton.)  But something like this takes it to a whole other level.

No comments: