1) If you decide to subvert the nomination process of a literary award in order to score a "Gotcha!" on your political opponents, you're probably kind of a prick.
2) Some people are proud of being a prick.
3) In an ideal world, all fiction would be judged separately from its author. In the real world, some people are so loathsome and despicable, others may declare them anathema. In the ecclesiastical sense, that includes excommunication, refusing them the sacraments. In the literary sense, this equates to refusing to read or consider their writing.
4) Some people are proud of being so loathsome and despicable that others will declare them anathema.
5) However strong and determined their efforts toward that end, there is no one so loathsome or despicable that they cannot find people who will befriend or even love them.
|J.T. Ready, neo-Nazi, anti-Semite,|
former public voice of white supremacy
in Arizona, and boyfriend of Lisa Mederos,
up until the day he shot and killed
Ms. Mederos, Mederos' daughter,
the daughter's boyfriend, and
the daughter's 15-month old infant
before turning his gun on himself.