12/16/2014

Assorted Stuff of Interest

Playboy has a big honking list, ranking all episodes of all Star Trek series ever: "Clues", my episode, is #115 out of almost 700. Not too shabby a number.

- - - - -

Speaking of big lists, among the plethora/tsunami of "Best Books of 2014" lists, the 250-title list from National Public Radio is pretty impressive. The full list can be filtered by various categories for more manageable results.

- - - - -



ASU's "jetpack" may be the jetpack we'll get, not the jetpack we want.

This is more of a "jet-assist" invention, being developed to let troops move more quickly in combat situations while carrying a shitload of weaponry and gear.


Any true believer, though, knows that a real jetpack will allow you to fly, dammit!




- - - - -

David Laferierre, an illustrator from Massachusetts, has been drawing on his kids' sandwich bags for their lunchboxes since 2008, and posting photos on Flickr.  One of his common subjects is rocketships. Here are a few:



- - - - -

And, to finish off this post, South Africa's MUTI (I'm not sure if that's supposed to be a name or a company) has designed an impressive poster for Jules Verne's fantastic fictions, Voyages Extraordinaires, incorporating numerous icons for a variety of separate works.  The full poster, and separate renditions of the icons, are on display at behance.net. Below is the icon for From The Earth To The Moon:



1 comment:

Scott Snell said...

"Clues" came up in an online family conversation today (Christmas 2020). I want you to know that I defended it as my pick for the best ST:TNG episode. (I had no idea how to contact you until today, so here I am.)

Be advised that no one in my typically argumentative family strongly objected to my pick. There was general agreement that it's a fine and admirably unique TNG episode.

Based on my Googling of it today, I'm pretty sure you've already seen all of the pros and cons for the episode, but I'll throw in one of my own "pros" that I didn't find elsewhere:

Data is asked what he thought happened, and out of his mouth comes the usual "Treknobabble" that rarely helps the believability of the series. Picard basically says, "Go check that out, Mr. Data," and when Data leaves, Picard asks La Forge what he thinks of Data's hypothesis. La Forge replies that he doesn't believe a word of it.

Hallelujah! I NEVER believe any of the treknobabble! I've always enjoyed that scene as poking fun at all treknobabble. (IMO TNG took itself way too seriously, but here I saw a bit of a wink at the audience. I want you to know that I definitely appreciate it, though probably in a way you never intended.)

Thanks for avoiding the three lame plots cliche (so successful for "The Love Boat," and apparently for many TNG fans, but not for me).

And for not bringing in a relative of one of the crew members. And all of the other TNG cliches you avoided. That quickly put you near the head of the line.

You got to the front for weaving a good mystery. I think this may be one of the few TNG episodes where I couldn't predict what was going to happen. I appreciate that. Too bad that most Hollywood storytelling (at least on TV) couldn't achieve that by the time of the 1990s.

Thank you for your good work.

Regards,
Scott Snell

PS, I work at NASA, on the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter project. I'm an engineer, not a storyteller (hmm, that turn of phrase sounds familiar!).