10/11/2012

We Get Egoboo

Over at Shakesville, Melissa McEwan's Question of the Day was "What's your favorite short story?"

Imagine my surprise to find, among comments citing Shirley Jackson, Hemingway, Melville, Bradbury and others, one commenter saying:
"Death and the Ugly Woman" by Bruce Arthurs
 
I blush.  "Death and the Ugly Woman" seems to be the story I'll most be remembered by, if I'm remembered as a writer at all.

No one's ever reprinted the story, to my disappointment.  It has been optioned for movie/television, though that option expired recently.  I should probably either post it online or make it available as one of those short-story ebooks.

2 comments:

Will Shetterly said...

Congrats! I haven't read it, but I'd like to. You could share it online for a while, then take it down if you decided to later.

Jim Longo said...

I've lost count of how many times I've read it--even if I'm not rereading that particular anthology, I'll sometimes thumb through the book just to get to it. It's a wonderful story.